Our Blunder

It was because one of my readers that I pursued the topic of Bittersweet, that invasive vine we're trying to eradicate.  

One of my readers had asked me how to tell the difference between Oriental Bittersweet and American Bittersweet, the kind that used to be indigenous to my neck of the woods.  So, thanks to one of my readers, I did a little more digging (both figuratively and literally).

  http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_017307.pdf

Refer to the diagram on page 2 of the link for thorough identification.

Just in case you are not aware of the difference between the two varieties, here are a few helpful hints:

 Oriental (aka Asiatic) Bittersweet:  


is invasive
it strangles vegetation
has spread East, West and South and heading to Midwest
found in a variety of habitats from roadsides, interior forests and even sand dunes
has fruit and flowers located in leaf axils along stem
capsules are yellow





American Bittersweet:

climbs vegetation but not aggressively or as large 
fruit and flowers in terminal clusters
capsules are orange



The bottom line is this.  The Pres and I thought our property was loaded with American Bittersweet.

We were wrong. 

Sharing our blunder with you and those at

Natures Notes


Comments

Popular Posts