The Sneeze

Walking slowly through the grocery store, we picked up the things we needed and headed to the registers. Running the items through the self scanner, the Pres placed items on the conveyor belt while I bagged. You see, I needed to be near the bags since he is not allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs.

Once the bags were loaded in the cart, I pushed, as he walked along side reviewing our receipt. All was going smoothly until we got to the car. Opening the rear hatch, I turned to see his hands reaching for the heaviest bag which contained a gallon of milk, a gallon of OJ, a half gallon of Almond milk, and the Pres' favorite chocolate milk. Lifting that is apparently natural instinct for a "doer", so I quickly leaned in, took those handles and handed him the bag with the bread and rolls. "Hon, you're not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds for weeks," I said making eye contact. Reluctantly and annoyed, he caved, took the bag with bread and headed towards the passenger side of the car, his large ego following closely behind.

I think it was once inside the car, it happened. Taking him off guard, the sneeze...the boisterous, strenuous, deep sneeze...came out unexpectedly. Watching him seize his chest with his arms and groan was pain enough for me but it was when he said, "Holy crap, that hurt like a $&@-/@&$;?!" that my heart sank. It was his first sneeze since his surgery and not the last, although they got easier as time passed.


He is "doing good" according to the Pres when asked.  But he, I have also learned does not always disclose all the facts.  He says he is no longer light headed or dizzy which came out quite by accident with one of the visiting nurses.  She had asked the question to which he replied, "No."  Then he added, "Well, it doesn't last long, so no."  Today is four weeks since his open heart surgery and he thinks he is done. 

I do not share the same outlook because we did have to call the doctor's answering service a few times. His heart rate spiked while his blood pressure dropped really, really low. This continues to be a regular occurrence so I worry, although he doesn't.  In my old, logical mind, if a heart rate is high when sitting doing nothing, what will it do when he is actually "doing something"?

We have several follow up doctor's appointments along with his now routine blood work. I will admit that I will be more than glad when this phase is over!









Comments

Popular Posts