They Wheeled Him Away
Getting up Monday morning at 3:30 was rough especially after the busy weekend of car shopping (another story). But, it was worth it. The Pres and I told our friend, Luke, that we would drive him to UConn Medical Center for his surgery.
We stayed with him until they wheeled him away to the operating room, which was booked for 330 minutes (5 1/2 hrs). What he was having done was nothing next to miraculous.
When the anesthesiologist came in to describe how they would sedate him for that amount of time, I knew Luke would be in good hands.
You see, 33 yrs ago, he was in a motorcycle accident. His body was still growing at 17 yrs of age and unfortunately, he came out of that surgery with a fused hip...no joint...unable to bend at the hip on his right side. His right leg was nearly three inches shorter than the left. So for 33 years, he lived with it and finally decided to "get it fixed."
Yesterday we went to visit him and although he is doing well and will go home soon.
I honestly cannot tell you how emotional I was as he walked around the nurses station yesterday. The Pres and I just happened to be there for his solo walk and when I shared them with his honey, Laura, Mae (my dog sitter) and her little sister KP, they were as teary eyed as I was.
Of course, shortly after his performance, I had a performance of my own.
to be continued
Sharing with you and


Comments