Entertaining The Locals


The fast and quick antics of these birds when they sail into the open from the nearby woods never disappoint.



Towhees are one of my all time favorites although I didn't know much about them until a fellow birder in Virginia pointed them out.



Striking in appearance with their jet black, white and rufous colored markings, their song, and quick flight patterns is what I love.







These characters are not shy around the feeders when they arrive in the Spring.  Even their regal-sounding name...Rose Breasted Grosbeak, matches their gentlemanly appearance, doesn't it?  






Now when the female Towhee appears, she seems to be in charge and her mate always gives her first pick of fallen seed.

When she leaves, he leaves.


Surprised that the Eastern Bluebirds still come to the feeders for suet, they have filled all three nesting boxes this year!!

Another thing i realized this Spring was how many we have nesting in the surrounding woods.



Then there's the resident worm hunter.  The American Robins love our place because we grow "em big out this way."

Needing no explanation whatsoever, the last two pix should tell you that soon I hope to get some shots of the chick which, if on schedule, will be branching soon.



It seems that this year, the adults (and the chick) are very quiet when I'm in observing. 

For some reason, they no longer sound an alert when I come to the edge of the clearing. They sit quietly and just watch me watch them.

It's when one sneaks up on me that I am the one making the ruckus.  Last week because I was leaning too far to the left, my three legged stool tipped over.  This pic is the best I could do once on the ground!






Comments

Popular Posts