The Silent Flyers

Remember when I told you I attended the owl presentation and met Sprite, the Saw-whet owl.  Well, he wasn't the only raptor I met that evening.  A few other "educational ambassadors" of Horizon Wings Raptor Rehabilitation were there as well.

When Herkimer came out, I really didn't know what I was looking at.  Resembling a small, furry rodent, he sat clinging to his handler's gloved hand.  Not knowing whether to "ooooooo" or "ahhhhhhh," I listened attentively as they told his story, mesmerized by his appearance!  With prominent ear tufts and feathers all the way down to it's toes, the screech is totally nocturnal.

Herkimer

Herkimer, a Red Form Screech Owl, had flown into a window and is now deemed unreleasable due to his wing injury.

"Window strikes" are not uncommon and by placing decals on your windows, they can be avoided.  Did you know that let alone that there are decals that appear clear to us and blue to a bird?  That's all because of the way the light deflects with the eye.



Jade

Then came the Gray Form Screech Owl, which is missing one eye and deemed unfit for survival in the it's natural habitat as well.  Meet Jade, who was brought to the aviary after being hit by a truck. (Personally I think she is less scary than Herkimer...LOL!)


Tenacious birds and sometimes referred to as "feathered wildcats", screech owls pursue a variety of small prey...from moths to small rodents...but have been noted to pursue birds as large as pigeons as they are quite fierce!

So now you've met Sprite, Herkimer and Jade.
Wait until you meet Emrys and Oscar!!

Oh, one more thing.


Courtesy of Wikipedia




Did you know that owls, when in flight, are nearly silent?
It's because of their feathers...serrated and separated compared to that of, let's say, a Peregrine Falcon.



Sharing with you and those at

Wild Bird Wednesday



Comments

Popular Posts