Ever Green Here



I'm not saying there are not a variety of deciduous trees in our neck of the woods by displaying today's mosaics. What I am saying is that I do so love evergreens!

Several weeks ago, while participating in a hike at Goodwin State Forest,
I was introduced to many trees that I never knew anything about.  Towering above me as I followed the trail and our leader, I found myself looking up more often than down.

 Leaning against the smooth, gray bark of the American Beech (top right), Emma told us that they are sometimes known as "the ghosts of the forests" because their leaves get lighter and lighter through the Winter.  Hence, they have earned the name "Ghosts."



And when I did look down, again I discovered "new" evergreens...
Partridge Berry (a non-climbing vine with edible red berries, although rather tasteless)
Spotted Wintergreen (a wild edible and medicinal plant) Partridge Vine.



Sharing with you and those at




Oh, one more thing.
Eagles like evergreens too.
Did you spot the eagle?

Comments

Popular Posts