The New Kid On The Block

When I walked into the woods last Friday, the chick was squawking hungrily. It had been crying on and off for several hours that afternoon, which made me wonder just what was going on.

However, approaching the edge of the clearing, it's cries stopped. Total silence meant he spotted me, I thought. I sat and waited for a long time before I finally heard it cry again. When you're in the woods, sound reverberates yet I knew the sound was not coming from the nest nor it's branches. The sound was beyond the cluster of pines...about thirty feet away from the nest!! Spotting him immediately, these are the best I could get since the young fledgling was hiding behind the pine branches.



Introducing the fledgling...the
new kid on the block

This is the first time I was able to get a picture of any of the immatures perched and away from the nest!! When I emailed Kate, she too was pleased.

After it picks up more flying and maneuvering skills, hopefully I will catch it soaring over the treeline and our yard. Now the education comes...not for us...for the immature. Observing it's parents and other eagles as it begins to venture out into our world, it will learn to hunt and fend for itself. Until it's skills are mastered, it will cry and beg hungrily for food from it's parents.

Did you know that in the first few months many immatures perish?

Salmon Head
When I checked out the base of the nesting pine, there were several skeletons scattered on the ground, mostly around the back side of the tree cluster. Judging from the remains I found, the immature has been fed well, wouldn't you say?

Sharing with you and those at

Our World Tuesday

Wild Bird Wednesday

Comments

Popular Posts