From This Angle
I went in to see the eagles today because yesterday I think I heard a chick. It was a squeaky rough cry that occurred mid-afternoon. Noting the time, I envisioned feeding and planned on investigating.
This time, as I turned to head home, after seeing and hearing nothing, an adult flew in and circled wide and slowly. Never making a sound, it circled low and wide. It never chirped or screeched. It was carrying something...either a slender fish or snake...in it's talons. I think it may have been a snake. Reading it's body language, I knew it was time for me to head home so my visit was short.
Apologizing for this shot but I find myself so "into" watching and noting. Of course, whatever it was carrying is hidden behind the pine branches. Remember I am about 110 yards away at the rim of the buffer zone.
Yes, we'll have another successful nesting to report this year! Somehow though I have to get a chick count by the end of the month. My old spot on the boulders is out of the question as the brush has completely engulfed them. I have to come up with a different spot.
In order to see if there's multiple chicks, I'll have to plan on staying in about an hour to see if it/they climb to the top of the nest and poop. Yep...poop. Usually each chick will defecate in a different spot from the rim of the nest. I think I'll set up a folding chair, bring my binoculars and the camera as well as the mosquito netting.

Comments