Exciting Words

Last week when I went in to see the eagles, I couldn't wait to email my findings to Kate (Division of Wildlife).  That evening as I composed my email and hit send, I hoped that she would be able to read the excitement in my words:

When I got to the clearing and took my pic of the view, I saw no "lump" sitting in the distant pine tree as I did last week, so, after settling down on the ground, I focused on the nest.  Using the binoculars first, I saw a cluster of dark wet leaves flapping in the breeze on the right side of the nest.  Raising zoomer and taking a pic of that side, my eyes then moved to the left side of the nest.  I saw nothing but just sat quietly waiting.

Sitting there on the ground indian style and gazing up in the direction of the nest, a tickle in my throat surfaced (allergies).  Now, getting a tad more annoying, I stifled a cough.  I really just couldn't help it and it was that noise that disturbed them.

It was then that what I thought was a leaf flapping in the breeze grew larger.  As I watched in amazement, an adult spread it's wings, flapped twice and was airborne landing in another pine nearby!  To me an adult in the nest means CHICK!!!

  And if that wasn't enough...

movement on the left side of the nest!  A chick...a very well-developed chick..began to rise and stretch it's massive wings before then settling back down below the rim of the nest.  And let me tell you, it's mottled brown and white wingspan was huge!!!

 And if that wasn't enough...

the second adult flew in from behind and landed in a tree directly above my head...about twenty feet above my head!   In fact, I tried to raise the camera and lean backwards to snap a pic but felt like I was going to tip over so I gave up.  By the time I turned back, the adult was off to another pine.  However, I did get this shot just as it was ready for liftoff.  It's not the best, but I'm happy with it.




Did you know that a chick will be nearly two feet tall when it's ready
 to fledge at 11-12 weeks?

Did you know that typically a pair of eagles will have almost the same schedule for laying, hatching and raising their young year to year?


Did I tell you a tree was down across the path and I had to crouch down to get through?

Do you think Kate felt my excitement?


Gosh, it was a great day!



Sharing with you and those at



Comments

Popular Posts