Aruban Leftovers



Snowy Egret

While on vacation this year, I discovered a neat spot where lots of birds hang-out. Although it was really off the beaten path, I feel safe in Aruba because of the places we go, I guess.  One morning, as I rounded the thick brush and peered toward the open brackish water, not only were there birds but there was a man standing near the edge.

Immediately noticing his demeanor and how he was dressed, I saw the binoculars, the long lensed camera and typical birding attire.  It was then that I continued in toward the marsh.

Acknowledging my presence, then introducing himself, he began to tell me stories about the birds in his country.  Then it was my turn to tell him about the Bald Eagles back home.  Although he said he'd never seen one in the wild, his eyes popped with interest as I told him of the experiences from last year.  Two old birds talking birds...:)

As we traded stories he began to name birds as they came in and although his accent was heavy, I had him repeat them occasionally.
Unfortunately, I had no notepad with me to take notes but next time I will because he taught me a lot.

Red Throated Heron

So, I labelled theses pix, but if I messed up, forgive me because all I had was my memory until I got back to the hotel!   When I did finally get back to the resort, I rushed to grab a pen and paper and began jotting down names.

A big thank you to Juanitizio,

a gentleman from Venezuela who was kind enough to rattle off the names to me...:) and exchange some pretty awesome experiences with me as well.

Cormorants & Snowy Egret
Neotropic Cormorant
White Cheeked Pintail

Crake
Sora
Crake



Don't you just love learning new things every day?

I learned the Cormorants were drying their wings when they were flapping in the brush, that the Sora is a shy, timid marsh bird and that Crakes...well, Crakes are just too adorable for words!!










Sharing some Aruban leftovers with you and those at




Comments

Popular Posts