Love the Earth

Yesterday was Earth Day.


Knowing that far too many birds and animals die from litter tossed along the roads, I decided to head out and do my share to pick up after the litterbugs.
I do NOT like litterbugs!



Reminding the Pres on Monday evening to make me a trash picker upper, I watched as he transformed an old broom handle into the perfect tool. It was plenty long so I could reach deep into the roadside Barberry to pluck out the things cast out the litterbug's  car windows. All was going along well.

However, after doing the right side of the road and now heading back in the direction of our gravel road, the bags had grown heavy. I soon found myself dragging the huge dark green trash bags through the sand and weeds that line the road.


Then a southbound car slowed to a stop.


Rolling down her power window on the shiny black two door rather sporty looking car, I couldn't help but notice how she was dressed. Hair meticulously combed and styled, make-up in all the right places on her face and with lipstick that matched the redish sweater she was wearing, she said, "Excuse me, are you looking for returnables?"

Apparently she thought I was a waif...a vagabond...an indigent.

Dressed in my work boots, canvas camel work pants and a lightweight black, long sleeved half zip top, I turned to face her. Bracing the overstuffed green trash bag against my right leg, I smiled and calmly responded,

"No ma'am, I am not looking for returnables. I am picking up garbage along the road...garbage that people throw out of their cars. Today is Earth Day. If you'd like to join me, feel free to pitch in and pick up any trash you see. I would appreciate the help."

Pulling back like a turtle in it's shell, clearly she was not happy with my response...I could tell by the look on her face. 

 She became abrupt and appeared to be insulted, displaying a much less kind demeanor..."Oh...oh, goodness no" before powering up her window and driving off.


Last night as I got ready for Tai Chi, I thought about what I learned on Earth Day:

Some people are workers and others are not.

People make a lot bigger mess here on earth than the animal life we share the planet with.

Next time, bring more bags.

And, regardless of what people think,
never...never stop loving the Earth!


How did you enjoy Earth Day yesterday?




Sharing with you and


Comments

Popular Posts