Red~ White ~ Blue

The Pres and I are not "dinner people."  We're "supper people".  Oh don't get me wrong an occasional get together with friends for dinner is fine but we prefer casual...laid back...friendly atmosphere where we can chat (especially me) with people.  

So a few weeks ago when I met John, a 71 year old gentleman exercising at the gym, after trading meatball recipes, he suggested that hubby and I scoot out to Lebanon for the meatloaf  "supper" being held at the American Legion.  John boasted so much about his meatloaf and when I told the Pres, he was all ears so I knew he would not forget the date.




We went early intentionally and I'm glad we did.  The food was piping hot and ready when we arrived and tables were filling fast!  There before us were farm fresh green beans, mashed potatoes, meatloaf and gravy preceded by warm rolls, butter and a nice tossed salad.  Warm apple crisp with homemade vanilla bean ice cream was for dessert, something both of us spotted when we walked in and bought our tickets.


After filling our plates and thoroughly enjoying our meal, I couldn't help but wander into the kitchen.  "Who made the meatloaf?" I asked of a young man in his thirties.  "He did," he said, pointing to the older gentleman with the baseball cap on and smiling.



Yep.  It was John who did not recognize me.  Yet as I told him of trading meatball recipes, his eyes lit up and said, "I'm so glad you came out to benefit the Legion."

So were we.  Our servicemen have done and continue to do so much for our country. 

Comments

Popular Posts