What Was in the Box?

When I opened the box, I gasped with a sinking heartache! 

 There was Alva, WHO HAS NOT BEEN OUT OF THE CLOSET OR GIVEN A DRINK IN A YEAR AND A HALF YEAR!!!

Mortified, I carried the two pots up stairs , placing them on the barn red planter the Pres made. My heart was sad. I felt ashamed...ashamed that I'd forgotten her. I would feel just terrible if I killed her.

Alva, for those of you who are not familiar with her, is a houseplant named after my friend's Aunt Alva, a homely woman who blossomed into a beautiful person.  Hence, when she passed, her sister nicknamed this houseplant after her because of the remarkable transformation it makes when it comes out of the closet once a year for some water and light.

Giving the pots a drink of lukewarm water, I set them near each other. Within five days, this is what we had. She, too, is a survivor! I know that it's October and that she was supposed to come out of the closet, in early Spring of 2013 but now that she is out, watered and growing (profusely, I might add), I am going to let her flower at least once. Then I'll cut her back and put her back in the dark closet. Only this time, I will NOT forget to take her out.


Comments

Popular Posts