The Office

So many changes in our society nowadays...some of them just frightening.  Our children not only learn fire drills but also drills for lock-down.  Adapting can be difficult for someone by age who grew up in a safer environment and sometimes even heart-wrenching until...

You got to hang out with your son for a few hours before you go to your grand-daughter's school to pick her up for the first time and so you know what to do.  "There's a routine, Mom, that you have to follow."

There we stood.  In the "common area" (aka the gymnasium) watching and waiting patiently as the classes filed through the doorway on the far side of the gym's shiny wood floor painted with the typical athletic flare.

Standing among the other parents who pick-up their kids, my son finally said, "Mom, there's Mia's teacher." 

Immediately my eyes focused on the woman in the doorway with the small children behind her and I smiled broadly when I spotted Mia, third in line.  Towering over everyone, my son waved and Mia smiled, waving back.  

And Nana?  Well, Nana couldn't contain herself.  She waved both arms above her head in sheer delight and pride as her smile consumed her face.  It was well received!  Mia began waving both arms too and with popping eyes and beaming smile shook her head side to side in excitement.

Once we got to the front of the line and stood before her teacher, out came the clip board to sign for Mia.  My son introduced me to her teacher as Mia handed her back-pack to her Dad and hugged me tightly, "Nana!"  It was then I told the teacher how I wanted to run across the floor and just hug her when I spotted her.  Her response, warm in tone, was, "And you could have done  that" as she smiled back at me.

"I didn't want to get in trouble so I waited like everyone else," I said

Listening to the conversation, Mia, said, "Oh Nana, you always have to follow the rules when you're in school.  You have to be good or you go to the
 the OFFICE."

With that we clasped each other's hand tightly and headed to the car.

Comments

Popular Posts