Would YOU Take the Job?

Thinking and thinking, wrestling with what to do...even after I'd spoken with Juan, I finally gave in.


I called DEEP, Division of Wildlife on Friday, leaving a message for the Field Agent who returned my call Monday just as I pulled into the gym parking lot.
Sitting in the car listening to the pouring rain pound on the roof, I told her of the behavior I'd observed beginning with last year's sighting, then recapped what had transpired since March.

Listening attentively and answering my periodic questions, she was wonderful assuring me that no one would come to the nest.  As our conversation closed and taking me by surprise, she asked if I would be interested in being her contact for this nest during this season and in years to come. I would report to her the number of fledglings, their behavior, the behavior of the pair as well as future sightings, assuming they return, by making regular weekly visits.

Frantically I jotted notes down in the small journal I keep in the glove compartment. When our conversation was over, I felt relieved. I knew that reporting the eagles was the right thing to do. 

After accepting the task of monitoring this nest, I received several emails from Kate (DEEP, Div of Wildlife), one of which was a ten page document describing in detail the nesting behavior of American Bald Eagles by someone who observed them for eleven years!

Time to dust off the old binoculars, dig out the camo and head into the forest.


Comments

Popular Posts