Hunting

Outside with the dogs, as I rounded the corner of the garage, I followed the trail of feathers.  Wondering which one was the culprit and which one was the victim, I noticed that something had happened in the pre-dawn hours.



The larger feathers are, as you can see, gray and white.

A lot of smaller feathers scattered around the scene of the crime made me wonder what did what to what.


Covered with the morning dew, the feathers lay alone and then some in clusters.

My guess?  An owl (as I watch them come in early in the morning and then again late in the afternoon at dusk.)

We have a ton of owls here.  But, we also have hawks...Red-tailed, Sharp-shinned and Cooper's to name a few.  Then again, just last week, I saw my first American Bald Eagle of the season heading to the dam up the road from us.  It probably was here last year enjoying the salmon they stock right below the dam.

Yep.  Hunting it has to be done...for survival of the fittest.  That's Nature's way.

Comments

Popular Posts