Tired of You~cont.

Returning to the dentist's office, I didn't even sit.  They took me right in and hit me with the news.  I'd need a cap on the tooth that broke, which was old and thin.  Scheduling an appointment for the very next day was very much to my liking as I wanted to get it over with.

Arriving fifteen minutes early for my nine o'clock appointment Friday morning, I once again, didn't even sit.  And so it began. I was not uncomfortable at all...other than keeping my mouth open for so long!  The dentist kept telling me what a small mouth I had.  This made it more difficult for her, working on the pin and placement of a temporary cap for the upper tooth next to my back molar.

It was over and all good.  Smiling, I made my appointment for the permanent cap headed straight home.  My jaw was sore and all I wanted to do was get home.  There's something about home when you are not feeling you're best.  Thinking I was doing fine, I didn't chew on the right side of my mouth that evening and the ache had subsided almost entirely by bedtime.  The next morning I ate my breakfast, chewing on both sides.  It felt a little weird but I just kept telling myself that I was adjusting to the temporary cap rather than my old tooth. Then, when I was brushing my teeth, I felt something floating around in my mouth.

  Holy moose~poops!!  The temporary cap popped off!  Gazing down at the man-made creation in my hand, I immediately thought about what to do next.

Crap!  It was Saturday.

The dentist is closed.

I did what any modern day woman would do.  I rummaged through my travel bag and found the small tube of Fixadent that my old former dentist had given me.  He said, "take it with you when you travel...just in case."

After calling the emergency number twice, I was more than happy when the dentist called.  "Stop by Monday and we'll secure it with something a little stronger, but for now, you can try Fixadent.  

So now it was time to me to "fix~a~dent"!  Nervously, I put a few dabs on the temporary cap.  That was the easy part.  The hard part was trying to get the darn thing in my mouth, which really is quite small.  Although I can't remember the last time I had my fingers in my mouth, I did find that working in such tight quarters was not easy!  It was hard trying to stretch the corner of my mouth with one hand, balance the cap on the other and then fit in in place.  After a few tries (one where the cap was literally sideways!!!...cute...really cute!!!), I had succeeded.  Mission accomplished.  Now I couldn't wait until Monday to head to the office.


The story has a happy ending.  Greeting the dentist with an "I'm sorry," I stood as he motioned me to follow him as he walked through the front lobby to his office.  Sending me to the exam room next door, he followed me in and told me to have a seat.  He was done in no time...I mean it seemed like seconds...placing adhesive on the temporary and holding it in place.  Feeling like we were old friends, we exchanged hugs and I left happy.  I was, once again, secure! 

Comments

Popular Posts