I'll NeverKnow (cont.)

Shortly after I got in the house on Thanksgiving morning, the phone rang.  It was my daughter.  Worried about Moon, I really was not in the mood for chit chat.  She immediately said that I sounded cranky.  Holding back the ears, I replied, "I'm not cranky.  I'm worried about my dog."  Of course, once I explained she, too, wondered what could have happened to Moon.  "Try not to let it ruin your day, Mom" she said reassuringly.

We went to my son's and visited with everyone.  My granddaughter made me forget.  In fact, I was so consumed by her that I forgot all about Moon.  But reality set in quickly as the afternoon wore on and then I got anxious to head home.  

However, when we arrived back home only Copper greeted us at the back gate.  No Moon.  She was moving as slowly as when we'd left Thanksgiving morning.  No change.  Again I approached and let her make the move.  Damn!  There was no improvement since that morning.  I was concerned that it might be a pinched or severed nerve in her spine if she had taken a bad tumble off the stone wall or landed the wrong way.

Friday morning though, a glimmer of hope appeared.  She let me at least remove her collar with only a short whimper.  In doing so, I felt along and around her neck for wounds.  Nothing.  No cuts.  No scabs.  I decided that the best thing we could do was to stay in the house all day and let her rest.  It was yet another warm sunny day and I noticed that she was basking in the sun.  In fact, it was if she was following it, always lying with the injured side facing the warm rayts.  Observing Copper only a few feet from her as if he was protecting her, reinforced the decision that we would stay in.


She remained in the sun all day and later that afternoon, her posture showed a huge improvement.  Seeing her sit on the hill near the patio, hold her head erect and straighten her ears, watching our neighbors intently made me once again be grateful.  When I saw the Saturday forecast, I was elated that it was going to be another sunny warm day in the 60's as was Sunday.  She would once again be able to draw on Mother Nature to repair her body.  Moon soaked up the sunshine all weekend and on Sunday morning when I went outside, she eagerly trotted towards me, taking my hand in her mouth just as she's always done since we found her seven years ago!

Moon was on the mend and would be back to normal in no time.  Although I'll never know what happened to her, I do know that my prayers were once again answered.

Comments

Popular Posts