One More Shot

It's was time to pack up the camera and accessories since I was nearly done packing the office.  Something told me to just take "one more shot...just one more."  Walking down the now empty hallway which once contained braided runners and walls filled with Warren Kimble prints, I passed by the table that our neighbor and friend, Buddy, made.  Feeling a little sad, a little bad, and needing a little fun, I headed towards the mudroom, planning on going outside for some of that unconditional love wrapped in exuberance and I get from Moon and Copper.  Well, that was the plan anyway.

However, placing my foot up on the boot bench to tie my boots, I couldn't help but look out he window in front of me.  There it was.  I found it.  Nature had done it again...the perfect shot.  At first I was so taken by it that all I did  was stand in silence and watch.  Walking quickly into the family room to go get the Prez, I motioned for him to come... and come quickly and quietly.  Tiptoeing back into the mudroom and peering out the window, it was still there.

As I raised the camera and pressed it against the glass, I saw movement.  It was beneath it and the surrounding Lamb's Ear that it was nestled in was wiggling a little.  "Joe, something's moving," I said.  "Look to the left of the front paw and then a little closer to it's tummy on the right.  What is it?" 


It was HER...the rabbit that's been avoiding Moon and Copper all year...nursing her little ones!

I guess I need not feel sad or bad after all when I take my fifteen bunnies back home to Connecticut, back where they came from.  The Home in the Hollow is raising her own.  And that, my friends, is only fitting.


I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,
to front only the essential facts of life,
and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,
and not,
when I came to die,
discover
that I had not lived.
~Henry David Thoreau, 1854~

Comments

Popular Posts