Hollow History: The Early Years


I've always believed that things happen for a reason in our lives and today was no exception.  While cleaning strawberries for an afternoon snack today, I heard the "doorbell" ring.   Opening the front door, an elderly gentleman, clean shaven and neatly dressed was standing there.  I noticed what appeared to be a small framed woman sitting in the front seat of the pick-up truck parked in the driveway.

"Can I help you?" I said.

"Is your husband?" he asked.

"He is.  I'll go get him for you."

The Pres, sitting in his recliner in the oval office (aka the Family Room), got up and headed to the front porch..  A few moments later, the Pres came in and said, "Why don't you come out and chat with us?"  So, not knowing what to expect because he never told me who they were, I headed outside.

Well....remember I said things happen for a reason?  This eighty year old man lived here in the Hollow!  His house was set back deeper into the woods where the creek originates.  His "grand daddy" was born in this house in 1888 and this man's Uncle lived here while his brother and his family lived down in back.

   He and the "Mrs" clarified and explained so much to us!  He was able to decipher the names written on my living room wall, telling me how they were related.  Then he went on to explain that the kitchen/dining area was put on in the 1940's.  The present mudroom was their old back porch.  The 1998 addition was his "grand daddy's" garden and he used to grow turnips "this big" holding his weathered hands together forming what was the size of a grapefruit!  "In front of the house close to the creek, there was a wooden swing where the girls were courted" as the fragrance of the climbing roses filled the air.  

Telling him that climbing roses return each year, his eyes lit up then became glassy.  He apologized for being sentimental and changed the subject quickly, explaining that there were not trees on these slopes.  "Imagine it all cleared with grass and cattle grazing.  The corn field grew on that hillside," pointing to a densely treed slope.   "That was the cold cellar.  And we used to do all the canning in the canning house right where your well is."
Imagine after living here eight years, today I meet and chat with the one who could have explained it all. To me it was just another sign that our time in the Hollow will be coming to a close.  

However, I told them that until it sells, they are welcome here anytime because our home was theirs and it's only fitting that it continue to be shared.
~~~~~~
I'm linking up to Two Bears Farm
for Lisa's Memory Lane Fridays today...stop by!

Comments

Popular Posts