Rascally Rabbits

Years ago, when my son and daughter were young, I always wanted their Easter baskets to be a surprise.   Hanging their baskets on their bedroom door knob became the tradition.  When they woke up, it was right there.  YUM!  Nothing like goodies and candy first thing in the morning!  As they got older however, it got harder and harder to hide things from them.  They knew most of my secret "spots".  But one year...

Shopping for the candy and the baskets and the grass as usual was well thought out on my part.  This particular year, I was really lucky as no one had stolen the goodies from the car (Yes...but that's yet another story)!  Arriving home, I parked the car in my normal spot in the lot and intentionally left the goodies in the trunk.  My plan was to wait until they were asleep, sneak out and bring in the goodies.  This year, I had decided on the closet.  You see, upstairs, across from my bedroom, there was a hall closet where I stored a suitcase, the garment bag, some out of season clothes and some other rarely used items.

As I kissed them good-night that night, the excitement in me grew as I thought about how excited they would be.  Once asleep, it was time.  I went out to the car to get the stuff.  I always loved to make my son and daughter happy if and when I could.  They were such good kids and they really deserved it.  Anyway forget getting drippy, I brought in the goodies and tiptoed upstairs.  Opening the closet door, my mind immediately thought, the top shelfNo, that's the first place they would look.  I decided that I would put the candy, grass and baskets inside the suitcase and then place it right back where it was at the rear of the closet.  Nothing was out of place in the closet to give it away.  It was perfect.  Easter was only a few days away and I could hardly wait myself to see their eyes light up!

Finally Saturday night arrived and it was time for me to build the baskets.  After they were sound asleep, I went to the closet.  Removing the suitcase, bringing it to my room and shutting the door behind me, I placed it on the bed thinking of how excited they would be the next morning.   But wait...there was something wrong.

There were the baskets.  There were the packages of green and yellow grass.  But where was the candy?  It was gone!  Rifling frantically through all the compartments in the suitcase as if I had lost my mind, I was dumbfounded.  Exhausted, perplexed and heartbroken, I went to bed wondering what I would tell the kids when they saw nothing but that goofy grass in their baskets!  Talk about Bunny Blues

The next morning, when I got up, I slipped on my robe and as I headed out of my room, I noticed something dangling from my doorknob.  There was an Easter basket hanging on my door!  My kids had taken the candy and made me a basket!  Little did I know that while I was busily trying to hide the goodies, my son had been watching me.  Those rascally rabbits!

Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular Posts