P is for

Placing the disposable grill in the grocery cart, I was hesitant to say the least. Although I had never used one, my daughter assured me that it worked ‘just fine‘. Made of tin foil with charcoal briquettes on the bottom, all that was needed was some starter fluid. At least that’s what the instructions said. It was our second Sunday in Aruba and the decision had been made that the four of us would go to the beach that evening, cook out and watch the sunset. That was the plan

Deciding on pinchos, some leftover fried shrimp and pork ribs to go with our baked potatoes and reheated sauteed vegetables, we diligently packed the food into the disposable cooler. Plastic plates, napkins and silverware all tucked neatly in a bag along with the salt and pepper, we were on our way.

Arriving at a beach on the other side of the island, Angel and the Pres immediately lit the “grill,” as my daughter and I got the food out and arranged our plates on the cement benches under the grass hut. However, none of us planned on the wind being quite so strong. Before I knew it, the decision had been made to move the grill (as it was in flames, no less!!) near the rear tire of the car, which would shield it from the gusty trade-winds.  Are you kidding me?  Put it right near the gas tank?  And so it was.  Perhaps you can see the edge of the tire in the photo


Angel had headed down toward the cliffs and the water while the Pres manned the grill.  Before long Angel came back waving frantically, hollering “Forget the sunset. Get your camera, Mamacita!  Wait until you see how big this thing is!  Follow me.”

Heading once again towards the cliffs, he walked hurriedly along the jagged coral.  Following him as closely and quickly as I could, I was falling behind and kept telling him to slow down. In case you've never tried it, walking across coral is NOT an easy task whereas twisting an ankle is.  Yet before I knew it, there it was. Oh my! I had NEVER seen one of these before!  Holy moose-poops!  It was HUGE!


to be continued…

Comments

Popular Posts