Remembering "WaWa"

My son turned thirty six earlier this week so I've been thinking about him a lot. I thought it was only fitting to tell you a story about something he once said to me.

It was when money was tight.  Things were tough even though I was working at "the bank" as I was still only a part-time teller.  We lived in our apartment at the time.  There we were driving down that huge hill heading to the grocery store in the nearby plaza.  Passing by WaWa, a small convenience store, on my right, I approached the traffic light at the intersection.  It was then that my son, who was probably six or seven at the time, said something very profound.  "Mommy, when I grow up and get a job, I'm going to make lots of money."

"Good for you," I said.

"Do you know what I'm going to do with some of my money?" he went on.

"No, I don't Jason.  What will you do with your money?"

"I'm going to buy you a new dress."

Beaming with pride for being so considerate at such a young age, I said, "You are?  I would love that, Jason.  And where are we going to get this dress?"

"I'll take you shopping," he said glancing off to the left.  "I'll take you to WaWa."

I probably wanted to laugh my butt off, but contained my emotions so as not to hurt his feelings while my heart beamed with pride. 

Now, I'm not sure if any of you even know what a "WaWa" is.  They are a convenience store chain and were quite popular in Connecticut.  They sell, milk, bread, cigarettes, candy, soda and snack foods.  Can you imagine?  That poor dreamer...a dress for his mom from the local WaWa!  This is the same boy that, as a child, would tell me he "loved me more than there are stars in the sky," and "more than there are grains of sand on the beach."  He has grown up to be a good man, a great husband and a terrific father.

P.S.  The instant replay of that scene still invokes the same emotions in me...pride, laughter and lots of love. 

Comments

Popular Posts