Red

RemembeRed
This week, we'd like for you to write about your favorite fresh fruit or vegetable.
Share a memory of when you first tasted it, where it came from, when you last had it, a favorite way to prepare it, and such.  As you write your piece this week, think of it as writing a scene. Be sure to engage our senses, make us feel, see, taste, hear, and smell. Pull us in with your description.
~~~~~~

So there it was...one of six, sitting in an opaque plastic bag tied with a green twist tie.  Removing the twist tie, I reached in, grasping the plump red gem.  The skin was thick, hard and slightly waxy as I grabbed hold of this almost grapefruit sized treasure I was about to taste.  Feeling heavy in my hand and examining it carefully, I noticed there appeared to be a small crown-like part on one end, giving it an almost regal flare.  Noticing that the specimen in my hand was a bright, vibrant red, there were others in the bag that were slightly lighter in color, almost pinkish, and others that were a deeper almost cranberry shade.

Now I needed to know what to do with it.  After searching on the internet for a "how to," I removed the small chef's knife from the kitchen drawer and placed a large bowl into the kitchen sink.  Placing the pomegranate into the bowl, I cut off both ends only to see lush red juices seep out and into the bowl.  Then, placing it on it's end and using a sharp paring knife, I scored the skin into sections vertically, following the natural pattern of seams created by nature.  Grasping the entire fruit in both hands, I split the sections, hearing a crisp snap with each separation, gently placing them into the bowl which continued to house the deep red luscious juice. 

Separating the arils, plump with the juice as well as a seed, from the off-white almost translucent pith, I could not help myself.  The temptation was too great.  I had to get a spoon and taste some.  It was sheer heaven!  Tart, thirst quenching, succulent and crunchy all at the same time, I felt the rich red juice satiate my palate.  It flowed effortlessly down my throat, feeling so refreshing and satisfying.  Wanting more and salivating as I worked, I couldn't wait to get more arils onto the spoon and extracted from the bitter pith. 

Peeling my first pomegranate took me a fair amount of time...probably close to twenty minutes.  I will admit that during the process, I wondered if it was worth all the time and effort.  However, since savoring my first tantalizing treasure, I have become impervious to the task and have become quite adept at it.  Now, writing this and feeling slightly humbled by it, I will admit that I never tasted this fruit until I was fifty eight.  This has got to be the most delicious, thirst satisfying fruit there is.  Addicted, I eat it nearly every day not only because I love it but also for it's nutritional. value and health benefits.

Now part of my routine, anywhere from six to twelve pomegranates find their way into my home weekly while they are in season.  I have learned that the arils can be frozen, which I do, dating the zip-lock bags.  Consequently, I relish their flavor until the following winter, awaiting more of these red gems.

Comments

Popular Posts