Island in the Stream

It rained for a good portion of the day Saturday.  Sunday, it began raining heavy around 6am.  Although I was concerned about the creeks, I didn't go outside until noon.  I'm glad I did.  At the fence line that crosses the creek on the South side of the house, there was a slight problem.  You see, my little rascal Moon used to escape by literally ducking under the water and under the fence.  So, a few years back, I asked the Pres to put something to prevent her from accessing that as an escape route.  He placed an old unused fence post under the wire and that was just enough to block her passage.
However, with all the dried leaves that blow into the creek bed and accumulate all winter, when a heavy torrential rain hits, they often create damns here and there.  And so, off I went into the pouring rain wearing my nylon waterproof parka, waterproof pants and my LL Bean boots.  

My first task was to clear away the accumulated debris on the fence line to get all that water flowing.

My next task was a little tougher because when I looked down towards the road and the culvert that crosses under the driveway, an island had formed.  Now, I'm all for the  islands, but I really don't relish the idea of one in the midst of my creek.
Besides, the left side was eroding the bank.  I didn't want that to happen.  So, with the help of my trusty pitchfork, I cleared the block and got the water flowing along the road again...right into the culvert!  

Remember I told you a long time ago, that "it's not what you accomplish, but rather what you learn from it?" (Yes, I said that!)  Well, want to know what I learned when I was out there doing this?

I learned my waterproof parka ISN'T WATERPROOF!  LOL!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts