New VisionThrough Old Eyes

It's time for another assignment.  It's their first memoir linkup. The assignment was: after you have died, your daughter/son will be given the gift of seeing a single five-minute period of your life through your eyes, feeling and experiencing those moments as you did when they occurred. What five minutes would you have him/her see?



~~~~~~
Stand you not at my grave and weep
How could it be that you think I sleep?
There was no time when I was here
To take you through the untold years

But now that I'm gone you have a chance to see
What the most important and beautiful thing was to me
So take a few moments of your precious time
To look long and hard through these old eyes of mine

Now that you are fully grown
And living your life out on your own
There were so many things I wanted to say
But somehow "things" just got in the way

What matters most is how you feel
No use pretending...you need to be real
Things, my child, I want you to know
Things, my child, that will help you grow

There was so much that I had learned
If I'd just "let go" I would not have yearned
Why do we hide what we want to say?
It's always "things" that get in the way

Why do we wait so long to be ourselves?
Life passes us by as we sit on shelves
So don't make yourself ache so inside
Because it's the real you you're trying to hide

Take the real person down off that shelf
Be free...feel free...to be yourself!

Comments

Popular Posts