Mountain Fed

I know, somewhere along the line, I told you that the house here in the Hollow was fed by mountain springs.  Well, it was until we had a well put in.  That was in the Spring of 2009.


Prior to that, the water into the house followed a very interesting path.  Last weekend, it was in the 50's here so I went exploring with who else but the wonder dogs.  Here's how the water system used to work.

This picture is simply heading up the ridge on the North side of the house.

 

Ahh...yes.  This is where I turned around and what you can see in the distance is the house.  It's a nice steep walk.  It helps if you stay focused on the ground in front of you not the land up above you.


See...we're getting closer because you can see the top of the ridge.  I only do this walk when it is NOT hunting season and when there's no chance of snakes and yellow jackets.  That reminds me...wait 'til I tell you THAT story!!!

The mountain spring flows into this black pipe with the cover on it.  The pipe runs underground for about 50 feet where it connects to the holding tank.

The tank itself holds 350 gallons.  There's an overflow, a drain and a sediment trap (yep...on more than one occasion when I complained about the water pressure, there was a Blue Dodger stuck in there!)


Then the rest is gravy.  I should say gravity....right down the mountain side underground feeding the entire house.  Then, of course, we had a "black light" system in the house that purified any and all water.  I could never understand why they called it a black light when in fact the actual light was blue.


And, speaking of blue, here's a picture taken from the holding tank looking down towards the house and barn.  As you can see, it was a beautiful sunny day.  (I apologize for the glare in these last few shots.)



Here we are, back at the gate located above the Spring House roof because of the hillside that surrounds it.

Glenda, was it you that asked me if there is still a spring there?
Yes, there is.  However, it was piped before we bought the place.

The well was put in for practical purposes.  There had been a few years here where our area experienced a drought.  And, although we never ran out of water, I'd rather know that I won't.  I'm one of those.  Actually, the well water is more pure...has less bacteria.  Springs bubble up from the ground and then mixes with all sorts of impurities from the surface.  Well water originates from the aquifer.

P.S.  If ever the well failed, the gravity fed spring water could, in fact, be reconnected.  Of course, the "black light" ,which is really blue, would have to be reconnected.  You see, I'm also one of those.  I believe in back-ups.

Comments

Popular Posts