Pet Danders...I Mean Dangers

You know, this time of the year, we are all so "wrapped up" in doing things for others that sometimes we forget to take a little extra precautionary measures with our pets.  I wanted to remind you of a few things that can be very dangerous for those loved ones in our lives.

The first story that comes to mind occurred when I had cats.  Lets see, there was Inkers (short for Inky??), Fatty Fuchsia and, of course, Vern.  We lived in a condo at the time and Joe had moved in with us.  Christmas was rapidly approaching and so the tree was set up in the living room all decorated nice and pretty.  Beautiful quilted ornaments, shiny balls, lights and TINSEL.  You know those shiny strands that resemble thin silver snakes that move with each small waft of air.  Vern LOVED TINSEL.  He used to eat it!  Then, when he could, he'd "yak" it up.  One time, though, he got really, really sick from ingesting it and I had to bring him to the Vet to get him "cleaned out", so to speak. I have never used TINSEL again!  Of course, getting the tinsel out of him was only half of the adventure! 

Being a very rambunctious kitten, Vern thought that he literally could launch himself in the air from a standing position.  Right before he jumped, he would let out this blood curdling cry.  I swear to goodness!!  It sounded like a roar and meow put together.

  In fact, that day when I brought him to the Vet, he slowly paced the table while the Vet had his back turned.  I was standing next to the table and suddenly "that cry" came out of his mouth.  I thought... where could he go?  What could he get to from the middle of the room on a stainless steel examination table?
Well, I guess it was the fact that he was feeling lighter (now that all that TINSEL was gone from his stomach) because I watched that dude leap and soar higher that Rudolf ever could!  

He ended up on the top of the upper cabinets!  The Vet couldn't believe it nor could I.  My Vet had to go get a ladder, climb up and wait for Vern.  Oh, did I tell you that whenever Vern was up on something high, my son and I had taught him to "climb down" using a human ladder?   So, I told my Vet, just put your arms up on the tippy top of the cabinets and Vern will climb down your body.  Here's an old "before and after".


Hmmmm...so that's one danger: TINSEL


Click here for more Holiday Dangers

But, there's no dangers at Angela's W Va Treasures for Show & Tail !  Head on over and see what other tails tales you can read about!

Comments

Popular Posts