My Life: The Neighborhood (aka The Good, the Bad & the Ugly) 1 of 4

I've been blogging regularly since June and I decided that it's time for you to "Meet the Fockers"...I mean the neighbors.  Actually, though, the neighborhood resembles that famous movie starring Clint Eastwood..."The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".


The closing was in May and we moved in the first of June.  Move in day was most interesting.  Of course, a 30' moving van was needed since the entire contents of the house was being relocated.  The van did have quite a difficult time getting into the driveway...I do remember that quite clearly.  The road here is so narrow as you round the corner.  The driveway is right at the bottom of a rather steep incline that heads up the mountain. 

My daughter and her boy friend had come down to help us unpack and get settled.  I was glad for her help...she's a real go-getter and is very talented, especially when it comes to decorating.  Hence, the placement of furniture as it was unloaded from the truck was quick and easy.  What I wasn't expecting was company on our first day here. 

The day we arrived a pick-up truck pulled in the yard with a German Shepherd "riding shotgun".  Then out of the truck stepped a large, burly man who walked slowly towards me.  "Yikes", I thought..."don't mess with him!"  However, as he got closer, I saw a gleam in his eyes and a big broad smile appeared on his well-tanned face.  The tan blended nicely with his silver gray hair.  As I extended my hand, he said, "My name is Melvin and I'd like you to meet, my sidekick, Ranger.  My wife and I live right up there (as he pointed up in back of my barn) and I thought we'd come down and welcome you to the neighborhood."

In fact, that year, he and his wife, Jesse, threw a party in our honor.  They'd invited a lot of the neighbors as well as some of their friends "to come and meet the Yankees."  Now, in my book, that was pretty darn sweet.  And, although Ranger is no longer with us, our neighbors still keep a watchful eye out for us and are there whenever we need them.  So, officially, our "welcome to the neighborhood" got off to a great start even though we were damn Yankees.  Oh, in case you don't know the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee, it's quite simple, I've been told.  A Yankee comes to Virginia to visit.  A damn Yankee comes to Virginia and stays.  Melvin and Jesse=THE GOOD.

However, you should know by now...that's not how this story ends.  (to be continued)

Comments

Popular Posts