Mountaintop Meeting

Remember I told you about that dead buck the dogs and I spotted on our morning walk up the mountain last week.  Well, the next morning it was gone.  Apparently, the authorities responded quickly.  

The mountain is getting easier and easier for me to climb...thank goodness!  So, now we go up farther than we used to.  We walk all the way up to the county line, then back down which gives me a little extra cardio close to seven days a week!  YEAH!!!!  In all the "old people" magazines and articles I've read about "senior" health, cardiovascular exercise provides all kinds of benefits.  Good gravy!!  How in heavens name did I start talking about cardio???

I simply wanted to tell you about one of the "neighbors" that lives up and over the mountain in the next county.  As Moon, Copper and I were making our last "leg" up to the "hairpin turn" (although a native Virginian once told me that these types of corners are referred to as a "kiss your a - -  turn"), I felt as if we were being watched.  Have you ever gotten that feeling? 

Well, sure enough.  As I looked up through the forested slope to the next level, I spotted a man...just standing there...watching us as we hiked.  At first, I was a little reticent and "creeped out".  However, when I realized who it was, I hollered out "Good Morning, Mr. S."  As he smiled, he nodded once and said, "morning."  It was great to see him again as I hadn't chatted with him in a long, long time.  This man is in his 90's and has been walking up his side of the mountain then along the ridge for years!   He did tell me that sometimes he takes his pickup now!  Can you imagine?  I certainly hope that I can still make it at that age...with or without a truck!

We talked for about thirty minutes or so.  He is so "on top" of things...know what I mean?  When I inquired as to how his wife was, he told me how he lost his wife almost one year ago.  She was such a little sweetheart.  I'd always see her working in the yard with her little bonnet on when I crossed the mountain to go into "town."  I remember how tickled they both were when I brought them cookies one Christmas!    

 I listened as he told me how he was afraid that his cat had been killed by his neighbors dogs the other evening.  Luckily though, his cat came home that night.  I could see in his twinkling eyes and knew he was happy about that!  He owns a ton of acreage on the mountain and knows everything that goes on.  He doesn't miss a trick.  There was one thing though that he did miss...

I didn't have the heart to tell him that his fly was down!  

Comments

Popular Posts