Copper: The Watch Dog

Copper adjusted relatively well to Joe and I.  Since he had been crate trained as a pup, it was easy enough to teach him that his crate, along with his nice soft bed was going to be his "den"...a den with an "open door policy".
He liked that too, especially when I made a cover that fit over his crate, leaving the door exposed.  Now, he even has a small pillow for his head...just plain spoiled...anyway...

He loved being able to run in the yard, jumping the creeks and up onto the ridge.  He really got into playing fetch.  I had placed his red ball in the shed and to tell you the truth, had forgotten about it for quite some time.  So, Copper was given the run of the house, but there were many new things here that Copper was not familiar with.  Lets see...squirrels, chipmunks, possums, CRAYFISH, snakes, toads, carpenter bees to name a few that's he's had an adventure or two with let alone this little story...

The first time we lost power, he was in the family room and was barking and barking and barking.  It was what I call his "alert" bark...you know, the kind that says "something's wrong."  When I went to investigate what he was barking at, he was standing in the middle of the room, looking up at the fan.   It was as if he was saying, "it's been moving since I moved in and now it's stopped, so there's something wrong, Mommy." I couldn't believe it!!  The "bonehead" (as I sometimes refer to him) couldn't figure out why that thing on the ceiling had stopped moving and he wanted to tell me there was something wrong!

Then, another time, he began that same bark while looking out the family room doors.  Looking at something on the deck, then looking up at me, then back to the deck, then back up at me...barking, barking...that "alert" once again.  Finally, as I focused on his line of sight out on to the deck, I wondered what ominous creature was approaching his safe haven.  Then I saw it!!  It was a WOOLLY CATERPILLAR meandering across the deck floor, slowly approaching the Welcome mat!!   Are you kidding me? What a watch dog!!!  Copper in protect mode! 

Don't forget today is Tuesday....time to head over to Angela's Show & Tail @ WV Treasures ...:)

Comments

Popular Posts