Copper: The Reject

Now this is interesting.  When I had called about Copper and was told he was being boarded at the kennel and, in fact, had been at the kennel "for quite some time", it made me think and when I think, I ask questions.  "Why is Copper being boarded and not at your home with you?" I asked.

The young man on the other end of the phone told me that a few months earlier, his six year old daughter had cornered Copper in their kitchen, spreading her arms out to trap him and Copper had tried to bite her cheek.
His wife wanted the dog gone, which I found very interesting because they are supposed to be "dog" people, if you know what I mean.  There was a small nick...no bite.  I asked him if he was at all familiar with animal behavior when an animal feels "trapped" or cornered.  He said, he was but they wanted him gone. 

Then, he went on to tell me that they had found a home for Copper after that incident.  An elderly woman who already had an older dog took Copper.  I can only imagine that match!!!  Apparently, Copper, being hyper and very "alpha" bullied the other dog to the point that the woman would then go after Copper with the broom!  Yep, that must have been a true story because I remember the first time I went outside with the broom in hand.  He cowered, slithered and hid so fast all while barring his teeth, fur raised along his spine!

Ah...hence, the boarding...Copper, like me, was a reject. 

Now, I will be the first one to admit that Copper had "alpha" issues when he first arrived.  And, that took some firm handling.  However, once he knew who was in charge and who was always in charge, he turned out to be a happy camper.  He just needed some time to adjust and to learn that LOVE he needed was right here in the Hollow with me!

Comments

Popular Posts