Memory Lane Fridays: A Spooky Story



If you lived here in the Hollow, where they are no street lights and you were home alone during a severe thunderstorm and you had lost power and you had to go outside to "pee", would you be afraid?  I was, but I HAD TO GO!

It seems like whenever we loose power here in the Hollow, it's almost always in the midst of darkness and my husband is not home.  So, here I am home alone and feeling the urge...badly.  I grab the flashlight and some toilet paper and my tin can.  (I don't like to litter!)  Then, I carefully negotiate my way to my "spot" heading up the mountain.  Ah!  Relief.  But then, I heard something.  It was a man's voice.  Now I got scared.  I was home alone, peeing on my mountainside and all I had to protect myself was a blooming flashlight and a roll of toilet paper!!!  Oh yeah..that'll really hurt 'um!

I was afraid to move, but I had to pull up my drawers.  Quietly I got my jammies up and stood up.  Looking back while telling you this story, I don't know I guess I thought that if I was taller, I could hear better...who knows??  It sure doesn't make any sense now...standing up.  Then I heard it again, it was more than one man.  They were talking.  Good gravy, are they in my woods?  We have twenty acres and about seventeen is woods...dense woods.  Now, bear in mind, when you live in a "hollow", sound bounces off the mountainside and the direction from where it came can really be difficult to locate.  I had no idea where they were.

Meanwhile I had shut off the light and I started my way down.  I just wanted to get to my garage door which WAS WIDE OPEN...waiting for me!  Now they were laughing.  I was really scared.  More talking and laughter, then a car door.  I was almost at the garage door when I looked and saw them.  There were two fellas sitting in their pick-up truck parked on the roadside right at the base of my driveway.  I got into the garage, turned on all the outside lights (which is so bright it can be blinding), then hit the button to close the door.

When I got into the house, I locked the door then went to peek out of the bedroom window.  I could see them chugging down their beer as they started their truck and drove on up the mountain's gravel road.  What a bunch of losers!!  I have since learned to shoot and rather well, I might add!    

Comments

Popular Posts