Long Lazy Afternoon Made Adventurous (Part I)

The other day, Mike (my hairdresser...the one with the ponies, Eli's son) called me.  He asked if I could give him a hand.  I said sure and headed over to their house.  His Mom was supposed to go with him, but since his Dad isn't doing too well right now, he figured he'd use me as a substitute.

When I got to his place, he had the horse-trailer pulled out from in back.  Phoebe and Echo greeted me as always.  Those are the goats that have the run of the yard.  They're like watchdogs.  After I rubbed Phoebe's head, she actually led me to the back staircase and let out a big "blaaaah".  I guess that meant, "company's here."

I went in to give Eli my usual hug and we chatted for a bit.  Then in came Mike and said, "you'd better eat a hamburger or something because we'll be gone a while and we're not stopping for food."  So, I chomped down the burger thet had given me, put my boots back on and headed out the door.  As I got to the trailer hitch, I told Phoebe and Echo to scoot down off the hitch.  I climbed into the cab of the truck.

Then Mike asked me if I could bring along my GPS "just in case."  I hopped out of the cab, grabbed it out of my car and off we went.  "Where are we going?", I asked.  "I printed out the directions on Mapquest.  They're right here on the seat."  I took the directions, typed in the address into the GPS and hit GO.  We were off.  He didn't tell me what we were going to do...just that he was nervous that we might get lost.  

We talked about the ponies, his Dad and Mom and he kept having me compare the printed directions to those from the GPS.  Although I've known him for about 7 years, I never knew that he's not good on driving directions.  He laughed when he told me that and said, "It might be Sunday by the time we make it back home!"  

"Mike," I said hesitatingly "where in heavens name were we heading?"  Just as I thought, "you'll see.  We're going to pick up a new critter.  I just want to tell you before we get there though, that if he's reluctant to get on the trailer, you're getting behind him and doing the pushing.  I forgot to ask how he rides in a trailer."  

Comments

Popular Posts