Lady Kiera Von Pooh: Best Friends (her & the dog!)

Every Saturday and Sunday, my best friend and I would walk our GSPs (German Short Haired Pointers) about ten miles.  We'd meet at the trail about 5:30am unless the weather was really horrible.  We'd chat...well, I'd chat for a good chunk of the time.  It was great fun for me.  Although years later, she referred to our walks as "forced marches"...should have known then what I know now.

So, off we go as usual at a good pace.  And if I remember correctly, I had Kiera off-leash...I must have in order for this to have happened.  We get to a stretch where there was taller grass along the trees that lined the trail.  Kiera goes off and running and being a pointer, her tail is wagging so fast and her nose is pressed to the ground.  So, being the proud parent of such an ingenious pooch, I said something like, "maybe she's going to point for us."

However, she did not go into a point.  But rather she hesitated, paused, then dove into the taller brush.  She was definitely after something!  She came out, lifter her head and held it high.  She'd gotten whatever she went in after...that's for sure.  Did you know that pointers have a very soft mouth?  That means that they are very gentle with things in their mouths.  So here she comes...running towards us, carrying something.  There was definitely something in her mouth.  

Imagine my surprise when she reached us and I gave the command, "release" when I removed a bagel from her mouth!

My friend was laughing so hard, she literally was bent in half.  When she stood up and regained her composure, she remarked, "send her back...maybe she'll get us a coffee."  Friends are the best!

Comments

Popular Posts