It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...

an  Atlas Moth.  I was first introduced to this species at The Butterfly Farm while vacationing in Aruba.

My daughter had suggested that I stop there on my way back to the hotel after my morning walk on the beach.  Although I'll admit that I hemmed and hawed initially, once I got to the farm, I was hooked.

Many of the butterflies and moths that they have there are imported from all over the globe.  This handsome fellow had just, as you can see, emerged from his cocoon.  See how the tips of his wings resemble the head of a snake?  Helps keep predators away.  Isn't he magnificent?

Each year when we're there, I walk my three miles early, then head over to The Butterfly Farm daily...yep each and every single day!  The employees all remember me from year to year and let me in even before they open.  I always learn or see something new and exciting!  It never ceases to amaze me. So, today I leave you with this message:  open your eyes to the beauty around us!

Comments

Popular Posts