Hurricane in the Hollow (Part 2)

Thursday night, I called my husband to let him know what the local forecasters had predicted for our area.  However, since I had already lost power, I could not use the phone...well, not the traditional phone.  And forget the cell phone, it didn't get signal...not here (remember, I live in a hole...I mean Hollow...and am surrounded by mountains).  Fortunately though I was able to dial out on the old phone shown.  If look closely, you'll notice that the ear piece has a gray horizontal line.  That's where it was cemented together, cemented together...  

AFTER I REALIZED THAT IT IS THE ONLY PHONE IN THE HOUSE THAT WORKS WHEN WE LOOSE POWER!

So, I lit a few candles and thought, no big deal...what's a little rain and wind?  I had other things I needed to think about.  You see, my husband told me not to flush the toilet because we have something called a pump-back system WHICH NEEDS ELECTRICITY TO WORK WHICH WE DID NOT HAVE and according to the local power company, were not going to have FOR DAYS!


 Laugh if you will, but since I could not use the toilet or any water, life became very interesting.   Yep...Life in the Hollow, a real adventure!

So, here it was...dark and pouring down rain.  I grabbed the flashlight and headed towards the old spring house.  I figured, I'd go "relieve myself" on the trail right next to it.  So, here I am, finally breathing a sense of relief (if you know what I mean) and as I went to stand up, my butt hit the briers, brambles...whatever they're called...and I was now wounded besides being alone, in the dark, in the pouring rain with no electricity!

On Friday, I couldn't believe my eyes when I went outside.  The three insignificant creeks were raging with water flowing off the mountain like there was no tomorrow!  The yard was a disaster.  Limbs down everywhere.  The water running through the creek that runs through the middle of the yard ate away the earth on either side of it so it was now three feet wide and about three feet deep!

My daughter had called and wanted to know if the house was still standing!  She was seriously concerned about a mountain slide.  Thank goodness I had the Jeep because I was able to get out and run to the local grocery store and Wal-Mart for a few non-perishables.  

My husband could not locate a generator in any store anywhere...even in Connecticut, because they had all been used for the hurricanes that had devastated the Gulf Coast earlier in the year.  He finally talked his friend into letting us borrow his until we found one.  My husband came home on Sunday.  I had been without power since Thursday night.  He was home about a half hour and was in the process of connecting the generator when suddenly...

 the power came on!

P.S.  If you happen to live in the path of Earl, be safe!

Comments

Popular Posts