Chapter 12 ~ My Life: Woodbury



Working at the main Office, I was privileged once again to have many people who took the time to teach me, show me, and work with me to develop my skills even further.  Then one day, the two Regionals approached me and told me about an opening in another office.  They "suggested" that I apply for an entry level management position.  I personally didn't think I was ready for that position.  However, after much urging on their part, I caved and submitted my application.



  Yep, I wore the suit and this time I hit the jackpot!  The reason I say that is, after I was in this new entry level managerial position for about six weeks, my Regional came out to visit my manager.  Now, she was an absolutely awesome lady...a real "go getter"...you know very aggressive!  Cyndy taught me so much...commercial banking, lending, cold calling...you name it.  She also taught me how to shake hands!  As silly as it sounds, we had so much fun with that each day!  To this day, when I shake someone's hand, I not only think of her but also give some advice on how the individual can improve that handshake.  It's the whole pay it forward thing!






Anyway, the day Peter came out to visit, they called me into her office to talk to me.  He very matter-of-factly said, "JP, we realized we put you in the wrong position.  I thought "oh, no...what have I done wrong?"  Then my thoughts went home to my kids who were adjusting to our lifestyle where I was able to give them a little more, if you know what I mean.  He responded saying that "we want to move you up effective immediately."  That meant a promotion within 6 weeks let alone what I had accomplished in less than 5 years with the bank!  When I was asked "where do you see yourself in five years?" during my interview, I had responded to the manager, "right where you're sitting."   A bit of advice: if you put your heart into something, the rest will follow



Now please understand how I was...always trying to do the right thing.  So, here I am..."old play by the book JP"...telling Peter, a Regional Manager of the bank, "No, you can't do that.  It's against HR policy.  You have to be in a position 90 days, before you can apply for another position." 



Can you imagine what he must have thought?  Me telling him HR policy!  You see, by that point, I had not only memorized the Security Manual, but was working on the HR Policy Manual.



Well, needless to say, I was promoted and now I was finally going to get to deal with my biggest challenge...me!







Comments

Popular Posts