A Night on the Town

No, it's NOT about me getting drunk (although I could tell you a few stories). It's about the butterflies getting drunk. At the Butterfly Farm in Aruba, I learned that the male butterflies like to sip on the nectar of various fruit. Lorenzo said that the male enjoys "going to the bar to get drunk" and then the chase their ladies.



In this photo to the left, an Owl Butterfly is getting drunk on the nectar from this orange.  Their large spots resemble the eyes of an owl to help ward off predators.  What I also found fascinating about them is that their coloring serves as great camouflage against the forest.





Then, the other day when I was out in my yard, as I approached the grapevines, I noticed something moving.  I peeked in.  Then I immediately went into the house to get my camera hoping I would not miss the shot.  There they were two buddies hitting the "bar" right around happy hour!
My conclusion:  Jimmy Buffett really knew what he was talking about in the songs "Margaritaville" and "It's Five O'clock Somewhere"...:)

Comments

Popular Posts