Do You Know Your Wildflowers?

Recently, a friend of mine, recommended a book to me.  As you can see, it is entitled Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, written by Lawrence Newcomb.  

I would strongly urge you to get a copy as it is the most awesome book for identifying wildflowers that I have ever come across.  When Marshall recommended it to me, he said, "JP, it's so easy that even a moron could use it."  So, I ordered it via Amazon and took delivery a few days later.  I was excited because, after all,now I would be able to identify all those wild flowers that are in the woods up in back of the barn.  In the spring, I have the most beautiful red flowers growing in the densest part of the woods!  Plus, I'm trying to plant Virginia native plants on our property because some have become a rarity.

Anyway, back to the book.  As I began to attempt the identification process, I also began to seriously doubt the intelligence that I thought I had been blessed with.  Yikes!  I was a moron!  I could not, for the life of my figure out the logistics that were supposed to be so simple in using this guide.

 So, tail between my legs, the next time I saw Marshall at the Y, I approached him reluctantly.  "I got the book yesterday", I said.  He smiled and when he looked into my eyes, I guess he saw the pain and anguish...perhaps the moronic side of me, I don't know.  He asked, "what's the matter?"  I responded, "I can't figure it out."  He laughed, then said, "did you read the directions?"  "For crying out loud, " I said, "it's a BOOK not a thing with moving parts."  

He laughed and once again, gave me a sympathetic look and suggested I go home and read the introduction...it explains how to use the guide!  So, when I got home, I picked up the "book".  Sure enough...the introduction is twenty two pages long (if I remember my Roman numerals correctly) and very helpful.  Now that I have the intro under my belt, the rest of the book makes perfect sense and with it's steps, helps you identify all kinds of plants.

Comments

Popular Posts