Chapter 5 - My Life: The Truth Hurts

I remember the day as if it was yesterday.  It was the summer before I was due to begin my fourth year of college.  I had a 3.8 GPA going into final year and I was maturing into a young adult at the ripe old age of 20.  My uncle had left the house for one of his excursions and while my Aunt was in the kitchen, I came in telling her that there was something I wanted to talk to her about.  We sat down at the kitchen table, I on one of the side benches and she, in one of the "captain's" chairs at the head of the table..

 I began by telling her about how he'd been peeking, touching, groping, feeling and giving me "that look" for years...when it was time to take out the trash, when I was bending over to put dishes in the dishwasher, when I was alone with him in the car, of always being afraid to be alone with him anywhere!  I asked her why didn't she see that I had always asked HER to give me a ride to the catch the bus, asked HER to pick me up from school, asked HER to pick me up from work!  I wanted to know why she didn't see what was going on.   And, I wanted her to see that what he had been doing was not normal...that it was wrong.

She got very angry and stern faced.  She told me that I was making it all up.  She called me names...nasty foul names.  It was all MY fault. I was the one that was no good.  I was the one to blame.  And then a defiant strength came over me, an inner courage surfaced if you will and, in an instant, I told her that I WAS NOT THE PROBLEM! 

I told her I was getting a job and moving out on my own.  As I cried and cried, the tears ran down my face but, with the help of God, I remained strong and told her that I was NOT the one at fault, that I was NOT the one who was sick and that I was NOT lying and that I was NOT going to put up with it anymore.  Go ask HIM!  See if HE tells you the truth.  Go get him and see what he says right now, right while I'm standing here.  Go ASK HIM!

I don't know if she ever asked my Uncle.  To tell you the truth, I don't care.  I did, however, learn a valuable lesson.  Sometimes...the truth hurts!  It hurt me so much that she thought it was my fault.  It hurt me to know that she blamed me for all of his thoughts and actions.  And, yes, although the truth hurt, it was time for me to move on with my life and move on is just what I did.  However, little did I know as to what was in store. 

Comments

Popular Posts